Location: 2nd Coatbridge scout Hall, Bute Street, Coatbridge ML5 4HF
What to bring: Notepad & pen. Tea & Coffee provided.
Did you know that:
- 1 in 14 young people have been physically abused.
- 1 in 10 have experienced neglect.
- 1 in 14 yp have experienced emotional abuse by a parent.
- Young people with disabilities are 3x more likely to be abused than non disabled children.
- 1 in 4 young people have experienced something upsetting on social media.
- Calls to childline have increased by 49% in the last year.
Safeguarding awareness update training provides leaders a unique opportunity to share ideas and best practice, and obtain advice about any particular issues.
The format includes PowerPoint presentation's followed by discussion groups, exercises and case studies.
The issues covered include:
- Bullying - preventative strategies, recognising the signs and how to deal with it.
- Keeping young people safe - different forms of abuse, warning signs and procedure to report concerns.
- Safeguarding code of practice - advice for leaders to stay safe and recognising inappropriate behaviour by adults or young people in the group.
- Internet safety - online dangers for young people and guidance for leaders on use of social media.
- Resources and support - how to obtain resources, run a group activity and where to find help.
Some of the feedback from the 2016/17 sessions includes, ‘sessions are informative, friendly and relevent to day to day Scouting’ another leader said, ‘'Open and informative' and it was also felt that it was a ‘safe place to discuss issues.'
To apply to complete this course, click here - please note that there is no cost for this, (numbers strictly limited).
Important note: the Safeguarding Awareness training is not suitable for new leaders or for Explorer Scout young leaders. It is ongoing learning for those that have been in post for a few years and will shortly be due for an appointment review.