Location: 15th Glasgow
- 1 in 14 young people have been physically abuse.
- 1 in 10 have experienced neglect.
- 1 in 14 yp have experienced emotional abuse by a parent.
- Young people with disabilities are 3x more likely to be abused than non
- 1 in 4 young people have experienced something upsetting on social media.
- Calls to childline have increased by 49% in the last year.
awareness update training provides leaders a unique opportunity to share ideas
and best practice, and obtain advice about any particular issues.
format includes PowerPoint presentation's followed by discussion groups,
exercises and case studies.
issues covered include:
- Bullying - preventative
strategies, recognising the signs and how to deal with it.
- Keeping young people safe -
different forms of abuse, warning signs and procedure to report concerns.
- Safeguarding code of
practice - advice for leaders to stay safe and recognising inappropriate
behaviour by adults or young people in the group.
- Internet safety - online
dangers for young people and guidance for leaders on use of social media.
- Resources and support - how
to obtain resources, run a group activity and where to find help.
the feedback from the 2016/17 sessions includes,
informative, friendly and relevent to day to day Scouting’ another leader said,
‘'Open and informative' and it was also felt that it was a ‘safe place to
To apply to complete this course, click here -
please note that there is no cost for this, (numbers strictly limited).
note: the Safeguarding Awareness training is not suitable for new leaders or
for Explorer Scout young leaders. It is ongoing learning for those that have
been in post for a few years and will shortly be due for an appointment review.